Homemade Raspberry and Blackcurrant Ice Cream
- 250g British Raspberries frozen
- 200g British (Organic) Blackcurrants frozen
- 2 tbsp water
- 300ml (or a 284ml pot) single cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 150g caster sugar
- 300ml (or a 284ml pot) double cream
Total time required: 20 minutes + freezing
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Heat blackcurrants in water, when beginning to break up add raspberries and continue to heat for 1 minute. When turned into a pulp push mix through a nylon sieve.
- Now make a simple custard by pouring the cream into a sauce pan with the beaten egg yolks, sugar.
- Put this on the cooker and heat on a medium heat stirring frequently to prevent the bottom burning. You need to bring this almost to the boil but not quite. This ensures the egg is cooked into the mixture and the sugar has all dissolved.
- Pour into a cold jug and leave to cool down.
- When cool mix in the fruit puree and put the mix in your Ice Cream Maker, following the manufacturer's recipe timing. Alternatively, you can freeze it in the freezer but Ice Cream makers freeze more quickly producing smaller ice crystals.